You rise up, your strength slowly coming back to you. Picking up the money, you thank you barkeep as you stuff it into your jacket pocket.\n\n[[Back|money:no]]
Water...drips from a hole in the ceiling onto your hand, making you revolt in disgust. After wiping it off on your pants, you look around the room.\n\nThe cracked off-white tile floor is covered in stains from poor aim and possibly years of wear. The stalls are in equal condition and covered in varying forms of graffiti. The door to the stall you were in stood static, open the wrong way.\n\n[[floor]]\n[[walls]]\n[[stalls]]\n[[self]]\n[[move|door]]
You decide that your apartment isn't the safest place if someone wants you dead. You lean into the passenger-side window of the cab, your dead arm bumping the door, and tell the driver thanks but no thanks. The driver makes a snide remark before driving off.\n\nTurning into the opposite direction, you begin walking down the broken sidewalk towards the only person that could help you.\n\nYou only hope he's awake.\n\nENDING 3 OF 4
You consider leaving the cab behind and walking what can best be described as the world's worst hangover off, but you imagine that those that were after you believe you are dead. So not seeing the harm in it you get in the cab, making sure not to slam your dead arm in the door. You tell you driver your address, and he drives off.\n\nENDING 4 OF 4
Your weight shifts sends you head painfully crashing into the opposite wall of the dirty bathroom stall, skewing the device. The endless ocean recedes into your peripheral before vanishing completely. Crashing waves quickly replaced with the sharp wine of fluorescent lighting and the tripped auto-flush.\n\n[[Look]].
A virtual reality headset. A cheaply-made, older model from a company that was founded a year after the oculus headset rose to popularity. This particular device has no true output and instead tricks the brain into a simulated REM sleep, causing the VR feed to be perceived as a dream.\n\nYou wish you could turn the device on your assailants, but it was destroyed while you were escaping its trance.\n\n[[BACK|Think]] \n
Something bumps the raft from underneath, causing you move a little. Your head [[rolls over]]. You want to check it out, but you can barely move. The [[fog|night]] begins to roll in again.
Stranding began as a means to give loved ones on their deathbed a comfortable and easy death. They would live out some endless fantasy within their final hours. As the technology used to create believable worlds became cheaper, the practice became employed by the depressed seeking a painless suicide and other unsavory individuals.\n\n[[BACK|Think]]
You raise up from the sink, your hair flat against your head. Pushing away from the counter, you regain stability and manage to move again...although it is less of a walk and more a drunken stumble.\n\nYou are in a public restroom.\n<<display 'Bathroom'>>
The ocean tugs on your [[limb|Cold.]], drawing the [[arm|Cold.]] into its depths
You locate a wall clock.\n\n\n4:55am...how long have you been out?\n\n[[Back|bar]]
The waves crash from all sides, as if meant to keep you in place. \n\nYou let your eyes wander into the [[night]].
It is [[dark]]\n<<silently>>\n<<set $ck_face = 0>>\n<<set $listen = 0>>\n<<set $ck_raft = 0>>\n<<set $sleep = 0>>\n<<set $roll = 0>>\n<<endsilently>>
He thinks on this, then responds,\n\nOWNER: You came in alone, but after that I was too busy here to keep tabs on any one person, sorry.\n\n[[Back|money:no]]
<<set $sleep = $sleep + 1>>\n\n<<if $sleep eq 1>>You try to [[close your eyes|sleep]], but the salt water slithers into your nostrils and burns, waking you with a strange metallic taste.\n\nCoughing, you wonder how long it will be until the [[fog|night]] completely clears\n<<endif>>\n\n<<if $sleep eq 2>>You try to [[close your eyes|sleep]], but the salt water slithers into your nostrils and burns, waking you with a strange metallic taste.\n\nCoughing, you wonder how long it will be until the [[fog|night]] completely clears\n<<endif>>\n\n<<if $sleep eq 3>>You try to close your eyes, but the salt water slithers into your nostrils and burns, waking you \n\nCoughing, you wonder how long it will be until-\n\n<<display 'bump'>>\n\n<<endif>>\n\n<<if $sleep eq 4>>\n<<display 'bump'>>\n<<endif>>\n\n<<if $sleep eq 5>>\n<<display 'bump'>>\n<<endif>>
The air smells foul as you lumber towards it.\n\n[[Continue|something(cont.)]]\n[[Back|floor]]
Something was written on the mirror, but it has long since been wiped away. At the other end is an elliptical series of cracks. In the center of them is dried blood.\n\n[[back|walls]]
with your other hand, you pull the syringe and throw it on the floor. blood squirts from the hole then stops a second later. you then wipe the drool dripping down your chin onto your sleeve and attempt you [[stand]], which fails and sets off the automated flush again.
OWNER: Ok, suit yourself.\n\nYou thank him for the money then walk towards the door. The barkeep finishes cleaning the glass off the floor and then continues cleaning glasses. \n\nA bell chimes as you push the door open exit out into the dawn. Cold wind brushes by. You freeze in shock, taking a moment to adjust to the temperature change as your breath hangs in the air. The pink hues of dawn blend with the harsh neon signage along scattered across the various buildings to create a near-alien morning atmosphere. \n\nAcross the street from the bar is an empty field, where a building was demolished a year before. Tall dead grass glistens in the light with frost and dew.\n\nThe taxi pulls in front of the bar, beaten and dirty. The driver rolls down the passenger-side window. All you can make out is a beard and sunglasses.\n\nCABBIE: Hey, where you need to go?\n\n\n[[Go For A Walk|Walk]]\n[[Take The Cab Home|Take Cab]]
<<silently>>\n<<set $needle = "yes">>\n<<endsilently>>You drag your hand across the [[raft]], almost too tired to move, to touch your face. As your hand nears, your arm catches on a plank, causing a [[splinter]]. \n\nAlthough you know it is your face, you barely recognize the topography.<<set $ck_face = 1>>
<<if $badge eq 1>>\nYou reach into your jacket and pull out the badge from earlier, flashing it just long enough for him to make out the shape and color but not enough for him to notice the details.\nHe buys it, and with an empty holster poking out of your jacket it may be for the best.\n<<else>>\nClosing up your jacket, you tell him no question his reaction\n\nOWNER: I like your honesty. Sorry about the cop bit, I get a lot of people in here who'd rather not be found. Most of them harmless. The dangerous ones, however, not so much.\n\nYou ask again.\n<<endif>>\n\nOWNER: Aside from the usual ruffians, there was one guy. He seemed out of place, but not dangerous. Lanky, scrawny, and dressed like the '60s.\n\n"[[Anything else you can think of?]]"
You pat yourself down. They took your gun. You aren't worried, since the palm encryption in the handle means the thieves would have tossed it nearby. \n<<if $badge eq 0>>\nYour jacket is empty save for one inside pocket, your notepad. It's still there but most of the pages have been ripped out.\n<<else>>\nYour jacket is empty save for the [[badge]] in a front pocket and one inside pocket, your notepad. It's still there but most of the pages have been ripped out.\n<<endif>>\n\n[[Back|self]]
You close your eyes, you have a sharp headache but it quickly goes away. The sounds and motions of the ocean fade away.\n\n ENDING 1 OF 4
you slam your head against the side of the stall, and the ocean fills with staticy artifacts and splotches of inverted color. shifting your weight on the toilet causes your head to crash into the opposite side, askewing the device and leaving the simulation in your perhipheral.\n\nyour eyes burn, have they been open this entire time? you blink rapidly, after a while they begin making a wet snapping noise as your tear ducts do their job. you attempt to move your right arm, but the command doesn't reach the limb. a syringe sticks out of it, and the veins are slowly turning black.\n\nyou look at your arm. A speck of dried blood across a dark vein, the area surrounding it has turned a moldy black. a syringe lay on the floor beside your feet\n\nwith your left, you pull the syringe and throw it on the floor. blood squirts from the hole then stops a second later. you then whipe the drool drippng down your chin onto your sleeve and attempt you stand, which fails and sets off the atuomated flush\n\nyou rise again, this time you manage to stand, but your bodyweight sends you through the broken stall door and into the counter with a sink.\n\nyou turn on the sink, letting it finn up before dunking your head into it, trying to wake yourself up and also get some water down your throat to rid yourself of the sensation of having gargled a dozen razors.\n\nwhoever did this wanted you gone. you check your pockets, your coat for any clues. \n\nyou sigh in releaf that you still have your wallet, but disappointed that everything inside has been stolen...not good\nthey took your gun, but the palm encryption on it means they would have tossed it nearby. your coat is empty except for one inside pocket, your notepad is still there but a some of the pages have been ripped out.\n\nyou manage to move again, although it is less of a walk and more of a drunken stumble\n\nunder one of the toilets you find a badge, you're unsure if it's real or not, but you keep it anyway\n\nyou exit the bathroom, tripping on a raised tile but catching yourself on the door.\n\nthe bar is empty, the only other sole there is the bartender, he figures you for a drunk and helps you out the door before you can say anything. he phones for a cab, but with no money, you decide to stretch your legs and walk home\n\nthe bar is empty, the only other sole around is the bartender who figures you for a drunk. you try talking to him, but he has no answers for you.\n\n you show him the badge and he thinks it's real and you're a cop. with an empty gun holster poking out from under your jcket, that may be for the best. you ask about any patrons that were with you. he says that you were alone all night and had assumed you passed out in the bathroom. you show him your arm. he shivers in disgust and suggests a hospital for the infection. \n\nyou take a tumble and he rushes to help you into a chair. he insists you wait while he calls a cab. you remind him that you have no money, and he gives you some, he helps you outside and then returns to closing the bar.\n\nyou wait on the cab and go home\n\nyou decide that if these people wanted you dead, they would definitely be at your home, and so you set off to the one place you may find some answers
He frowns and looks at the door.\n\nOWNER: Well that's too bad...\n\n[[Back|money:no]]
<<set $badge = 0>>\nwadded-up paper towels flow out of the trash and into the floor. A few of them are covered in what looks like blood. Across the room a roll of toilet paper is unraveled, covering a dark misshapen [[something]].\n\n[[Back|Bathroom]]
<<if $roll eq 0>>\nYou cannot move to look at it, your body is worn out and tired from something.\n\nYour eyes wander around the [[endless ocean|night]].\n\n<<else>>\nYou look for the carving again, only to realize you [[rolled]] in the opposite direction\n<<endif>>
Your throat burns as you take a gulp of water. Anyone entering the bathroom would think you look silly hunched over the counter with your head in the [[sink|Think]] like a dehydrated ragdoll.
The ocean manifests grabs you by the shoulders with dead, wet appendages forcing you to your feet in escape. It retaliates and kicks your legs bringing you down to the floor of the raft, crashing on your [[head]].
The owner is a bulky old man, you guess somewhere in his mid-sixties. Thick-rimmed glasses sit on a crooked nose. His round face weathered and wrinkled, partially covered by a grey beard. The sleeves on his tacky shirt are rolled up. Signs of a removed tattoo on his forearm. Brown belt and dark pants are barely visible over the bar. \n\n[[Back|bar]]
You wiggle your shoulders but only manage to give the ocean more leeway. The ocean pulls [[harder]]
You open your eyes. The light stings as you pull the covers over your head then turn to look at the clock with one sleepy eye. \n\n9:45\n\nYou rub your eyes, then it comes rushing to you like a freight train. you consider how awesome that dream was and even [[going back to sleep|Start]] to see if you can explore the world some more. \n\nUltimately you decide to start the day, so you get out of bed, grab a sketchbook to record your dream, and go to the restroom.\n\n<html><a href ="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foEy4redX70">ENDING 2 OF 4</a></html>
Black waves continue to splash aboard the raft.\nA few specks of filtered moonlight bounce off the fog and are diffused, lightly touching the tips of waves giving you a vague grasp of your dark surroundings:\n\nYou cannot see any ships nearby, nor hear them. You are alone. The waves push you rhythmically, but the force that they hit the raft with does not permit you to [[sleep|death]].\n
Water
He leans down on you bar, studying you.\n\nOWNER: I remember you coming in, but I don't remember you ordering anything or paying a tab if you had one. I already shut down the computer so if you had a tab let's just consider it paid for now.\n\nYou nod along intently.\n\nOWNER: So, you going to have money for a cab?\n\n"[[I don't. In fact I think I was mugged while I was here.|money:no]]"
You examine the badge: a solid piece of metal attached to a torn leather strap. The metal is stamped with a strange crest.\n\n[[Back|self]]
<<set $listen = $listen + 1>>\n\n<<if $listen eq 1>>\nYou listen for as long as you could hold your breath. There is nothing around you except endless ocean.\n\n\n\n[[...|listen]]\n<<endif>>\n\n<<if $listen eq 2>>\n[[...|listen]]\n<<endif>>\n\n<<if $listen eq 3>>\n...\nYou hear nothing...there is no one around you. Breathing out, you stare back over the [[endless ocean]]\n<<endif>>
[[Static screeches you awake.]] \n\n
You swing open the door, tripping on a raised board but catching yourself on the door. You are still stiff and weak\n\nHow long were you [[stranded]]?\n\nThe bathroom door leads out into a bar. <<display 'bar'>> \n\n
your eyes burn, have they been open this entire time? you blink rapidly, after a while they begin making a wet snapping noise as your tear ducts do their job. \n\nYou attempt to move your right arm, but the command doesn't reach the limb.<<if $needle eq "yes">> A [[syringe]] sticks out of it, and the veins are slowly turning black.\n<<else>> You look at your arm. Specks of dried blood trace across a dark vein, the area surrounding it has turned a moldy black. A syringe is on the floor beside your feet.\n\nwiping the drool dripping down your chin onto your sleeve with the other arm, you attempt [[stand]], which fails and sets off the automated flush again.\n<<endif>>
Repeating the action from above, you accidentally roll too far and your arm dips into the endless [[ocean]].
He responds promptly.\n\nOWNER: Why do you ask? Are you a [[cop?]]\n\n[[Back|money:no]]
<<silently>>\n<<set $needle = "no">>\n<<endsilently>>\nYou work your arm close enough to pull the splinter out with your teeth and spit it into the [[endless ocean|night]]
You attempt to [[roll|rolls over]] over, but your body is weak. The most you can do is [[lift]] your shoulder a few inches off the raft.
<<set $ck_raft = 1>>\nThe fog clears, allowing you to see clearly that you are surrounded by empty space. Black waves continue to splash aboard the [[raft]].
It is nearly impossible to see through the thick fog and into the starless [[night]]. You can feel wet wood underneath your cheek as water gently splashes across your [[face]].
[[fight]] [[it]]
The walls are not that bad compared to bathrooms you have been to in the past. You can see patches where patrons have knocked holes in it and outlines where objects have been tacked or hung on the wall. The [[mirror]] is the cleanest thing in this room but it is not without a bit of grime and water spots.\n\nThere is a door with "Flannery's" painted on it.\n\n[[back|Bathroom]]
lifting your [[shoulder]], you manage to raise it high enough to wedge your elbow in between the planks to keep it [[up]].\n\n<<display 'up'>>
The three stalls in the bathroom are empty. Someone threw up in one, the VR device sits in the toilet in another, and the third is empty\n\n[[Back|Bathroom]]
you manage to rest against the bathroom mirror as you turn on the sink, letting it fill up before dunking your head into it, trying to wake yourself up and drink some water to rid yourself of the sensation of having gargled a dozen dull razors.\n\n[[Think]].
<<if $ck_raft eq 1>>You look over the raft again. It seems to be a piece from a wooden ship. Nails are driven into the cross sections. Something is carved into one of the boards, but it is too far [[away]] to be easily read.\n<<else>>You don't remember building it, although this could be the reason for your exhaustion. \nUpon further inspection, it seems to be a chunk of a larger wooden object. you stare into the [[dark night|night]]\n<<endif>>\n\n
You hold your shaking breath, hoping to [[hear|listen]] something you may have missed.\n
He looks at the dirty ceiling, deep in thought. He looks around, then glances quickly back at you. Snaps his fingers and points\n\nOWNER: Yeah! There was one more thing about him, he had an old, brown doctor's bag with him.\n\nI could be the person who stranded you. A bag like that could easily carry a VR device and other tools.\n\nThe bartender's phone rings. He answers it, listens to the other end of the line, and then collapses it.\n\nOWNER: Your ride's here. Do you need help walking to the cab?\n\nYou are less stiff now. You rise up, hopping off of the barstool and landing on your feet and stumbling until you manage to stand upright.\n\n"[[I think I can manage.]]"
Old signs, posters, and a few televisions.\n\n[[Back|bar]]
OWNER: Huh...didn't think anyone was in the bathroom. Let's get you standing.\n\nThe old man hunches down with a grunt and lifts you to your feet. After a struggle you are able to stand, and he helps you to a stool at the bar. You thank him as he returns to the other side of the bar to phone for a cab.\n\nYou lay your head in your hand, resting your elbow on the worn, warped bar. The barkeep gets off with the taxi service and [[turns to you]].
Whoever did this wanted you gone.\n\nThey call it "[[stranding]]", connecting someone to a portable, offline [[VR device]] that loops a hyper-real tech demo. The assailants then dump the body while the victim's mind wastes away in whatever trip they were sent on.\n\nMost people last only a few weeks before they're discovered rotting behind a locked door in some public area. You're not sure how long you've been out, but you can't remember the past four weeks.\n\n[[DRINK]] \n[[MOVE]]\n
You fling your leg at the object, kicking the toilet paper off it, revealing a badge of some sort. \n\nYou stoop to pick it up and stagger into the wall with a thud. With badge in tow and a sore shoulder you stand back up\n<<set $badge = 1>>\n\n[[Back|Bathroom]]
Digging your opposite shoulder into the raft, you collapse your chest raising your elbow out of the crevice then slamming the raised shoulder onto the raft. Your body follows along with your head, which crashes down causing the raft to almost capsize with a subtle crack.\nYou now lay sprawled across the [[raft]].\n<<set $roll = 1>>
Searching your pockets, You sigh in relief that you still have your [[wallet]]. Regrettably, it is the only thing in your pockets.\n\n[[Back|self]]\n
<<set $money = 0>>\nThe owner sighs in defeat, too tired to toss you out onto the street. He reaches into his pocket and tosses a [[twenty and two tens]] your way.\n\nOWNER: Sorry to hear that. Here, that should get you where you need to know. The cabbie's a good guy and he'll give you a discount[[.]] Do you remember who it was? If they're a regular hang around and I'll get your money back.\n\n\n"[[Thanks, but I have no idea who it was.]]"\n"[[Do you remember seeing me with anyone?]]"\n"[[You didn't happen to see anyone suspicious last night, did you?]]"\n\n
The restroom is at the back of a bar. [[Sunlight]] begins to pour in through darkened windows as dawn breaks. The walls are bare brick with various [[items]] hung along them. the booths and table are empty, cleared-off, and clean. The bar is closed and everyone has left except the [[owner]]. \n\nHe is behind the [[wooden bar]], cleaning glasses. He doesn't notice you standing in the dark alcove that leads to the restroom.\n\nIt's a real dive.\n\n[[Move|bar (cont.)]]
Glass shelves behind it are lined with assorted liquor. The stools are still out. A cabinet full of glasses is open while the owner cleans off glasses then stores them inside.\n\n[[Back|bar]]
There was no sense of time in that trip; it was always night and the ocean deprived you of sleep.\n\nBut it seems so distant now...\n\n[[Back|door]]
You twist and contort your upper body but the ocean [[fights back]]; a spiraling vacuum dragging you into darkness by your arm frozen in time
You cannot [[lift]] your shoulder any higher
You feel death creeping upon you like a deep sleep.\n\n[[Cold.]]
The relief turns to disappointment when, upon opening, you discover everything inside has been stolen...not good.\n\n[[Back|self]]
The ocean calms, You lay on your side staring out over the [[endless ocean|ENDING 1/4]], now filled with static artifacts and splotches of inverted color. The heft of your [[weight]] squishes your head onto the raft at an awkward angle.
You try to stand again, this time you manage to rise, but your bodyweight sends you through the broken stall door and into the counter with a [[sink]].
a few specks of filtered moonlight bounce off the fog and are diffused, lightly touching the tips of waves giving you a vague grasp of your dark surroundings:\n\n<<if $ck_face eq 1>>You cannot see any ships nearby, nor hear them. You are [[alone]]. The waves push you rhythmically, but the force that they hit the raft with does not permit you to [[sleep]].\n\nThe [[fog|Endless Ocean]] begins to clear.\n<<else>>[[Endless ocean|dark]].<<endif>>
Dan Lance
You take a step, slip and fall, hard, onto the hardwood floor. You're able to keep your head from cracking open, but the loud thud the rest of you made startles the owner who drops the glass he was cleaning to turn his head and reach for a hidden object.\n<<if $badge eq 0>>\nYou are too weak to pick yourself up.\n<<else>>You are too weak to pick yourself up. The badge you picked up digs into your side\n<<endif>>\n\n[[Footsteps]] approach from the direction of the bar.
With your working hand, you begin checking your pockets and coat for any clues.\n\n[[Check pockets|Search: Pockets]] \n[[Check jacket|Search: Jacket]]\n\n\n[[Back|Bathroom]]
<<actions "Thanks, but I have no idea who it was." "Do you remember seeing me with anyone?" "You didn't happen to see anyone suspicious last night, did you?">>